Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Expand All | Collapse All

Luggage and Personal Belongings

Are my belongings covered if I leave them on the beach while I go swimming or on the airport trolley while I use the bathroom?

No, you are not covered to leave your bags unattended in a public place.

Am I covered if I lose my false teeth?

Yes, these can be claimed under the luggage and person effects section.

If I specify my laptop, do I need to value it for what it cost me three years ago, or for what it is worth now?

In the event of a claim we would pay the present day value, so it is only necessary to specify what it is worth now.

Are liquid items such as perfume or make-up covered if they are confiscated by customs or airport officials?

Liquid items that are confiscated by customs are not covered under our policies.

Can I purchase a policy for specified items with no other cover?

No, you must take out a policy and then add the specified item to the cover.

Is sporting equipment such as skis and snowboards covered?

Sporting equipment is not covered whilst in use nor when left unattended in public places. Equipment is only covered for loss or damage while in licensed commercial transport or for fire or burglary from locked accommodation premises. It is covered up to the item limit on the policy, unless it has been specified as a high cost item.

Business Travel

Am I covered for working overseas?

Yes, manual work is covered as long as it is not heavy manual or hazardous work. Please note that whilst working, Section 3 Accidental death and Permanent Disablement & Section 5 Personal Liability are excluded.

Cancellation/Loss of Deposits/Travel Delay

If my flight is delayed and I need to get to a special occasion such as a wedding, am I covered to pay for alternative transport to get me there on time?

Yes. If your travel cannot be delayed due to an occasion like a wedding, or a conference then we will pay reasonable costs up to $10,000.

Can I claim on my policy if I did not like the hotel I was staying in?

No, there is no cover for any consequential loss, loss of enjoyment, or loss of income.

If my grandmother was ill when I purchased my policy, and I had to cancel my trip because she died, would I be covered for Loss of Deposits?

No. We only cover for Loss of Deposits if the event is unexpected. Unfortunately, in this case, you were already aware of your grandmothers illness.


Do dependent children need to be named on the policy certificate?

Yes. Please include them on the certificate; as soon as you put the birth date in the system, the computer recognises that they are not to be charged an individual premium.

My two children are travelling by themselves. Do they require individual policies?

They can both purchase individual policies, or one can purchase a policy and the other can travel on that free of charge as a 'dependent'. In the latter case, they would split the relevant benefit cover.


Are skiing and snowboarding covered under the Comprehensive policy?

Yes, provided it is not professional and it is not whilst training or competing. Recreational skiing and snowboarding is fine as long as it is within the boundaries of the ski field and is not extreme or in remote areas.

If I am overseas and wish to prolong my stay, am I able to extend the insurance?

To receive a policy extension, you must get in touch with us prior to the policy expiring and apply for an extension. Provided you have not had any claims, extensions are usually granted. To contact us from overseas, please call us on +64 9 487 0806 during New Zealand office hours

Am I able to insure my journey to my destination and then my return journey back to NZ only?

No - we are only able to offer cover for the journey to your destination or cover for the entire duration of the trip. We do not offer transit cover i.e. three day policy for your journey there and three day cover for your return journey.


I have a Pre-existing Medical Condition, but it is just mild asthma. Do I need to declare it?

If you are unsure if your condition needs to be declared, answer the pre-existing question as yes. You will initially be asked some screening questions which will determine if you need to complete the medical assessment, otherwise you are automatically covered.

If I have a change in health after I have purchased the insurance policy, do I have to advise my insurance company?

Yes. You would need to contact our medical hotline on 0800 100 124 and advise them of the change of health. We are not obligated to insure this change, however you can make a claim for cancellation.

Is pregnancy covered on the policy?

Yes, but only for medical treatment for unforeseen complications within the first 20 weeks.

If I do not have a return ticket am I still covered for medical repatriation to New Zealand?

Yes, if our medical advisors recommend you need to be repatriated to New Zealand we will pay the expenses for this. We will however not cover expenses to curtail or resume your travel unless you have a pre-paid return ticket.

Rental Vehicle and Other Transportation

Am I covered to drive a private car overseas?

When a car is not a rental vehicle, there is no cover for vehicle excess. There is also no cover for liability protection or loss or damage to the car. This requires vehicle, not travel insurance. Your travel insurance does cover medical injury, loss or damage to your baggage and your accidental death or permanent disablement.

Am I covered if I travel on a private yacht?

Yes, provided the yacht stays within 25 nautical miles from the mainland (whether or not you enter international waters), but this does not include cover for personal liability.

Inbound cover to New Zealand

What cover do I have when travelling from my home country to holiday in New Zealand?

You are covered for six days in transit en-route to New Zealand and a further six days in transit on your return to your home country.

Country Plan (Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, Plan D, Plan E, Plan F)

What countries/destinations are in each of the country plans?

Click Here to view the countries under each plan in a table or a map.

Apex travel insurance is issued and managed by AWP Services New Zealand Limited trading as Allianz Partners and underwritten by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 (Incorporated in Australia) trading as Allianz New Zealand. You should consider the Policy Wording before making any decisions about this travel insurance policy.

For further information on Allianz Australia Insurance Limited's financial strength rating, please refer to the following Financial Strength Rating and Overseas Policy Holder Preference Disclosure Notice on our homepage.

Allianz Partners website | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy.

Allianz logo

Contact us

0800 800 048
A: PO Box 33 313, Takapuna, North Shore City 0740
P: 0800 800 048
F: 0800 800 167

Designed by Starsoft Ltd